Saturday, September 6

Our First...

Our First Date: We went out and saw the movie "Ghost" There are some very suggestive adult scenes and John was cracking jokes and we laughed through those scenes. The people all around us were shushing us.

Our First Kiss: We were watching the movie "The Little Mermaid" We were at Shar's grandparents house and Sharlene was with us. She went to the kitchen to pop popcorn just before the song came on. Guess which song?
"Kiss the Girl" ha ha ha I still laugh. Kind of lame, but it worked for him. At least it was a clean movie this time.

Our First Halloween: We went to a Young Adult Dance dressed up as Mickey and Minnie

Our First New Years Eve Party: We were definitely together. A thing. A couple. We went to the Annual Fashion Fair Mall New Years Eve Dance. It is a mall in Fresno that the church used to rent after hours every year for the members of the church that were age 14-99. For both of us that was one of the first times that many of our extended families had met John and I together. I felt like I had little spies (younger cousins) all over the place watching us. It was a ton of fun going with John that year.

Our First Valentines Day: By this time I had moved in with my Grandma Boggs and she was on a vacation for a month in Europe so Sharlene came to stay with me for a month. John came over early that morning and made me breakfast in bed with a flower and a heart shaped gift box filled with candy. That night we went to the Valentine's Dance together. Everyone kept looking at us all night. I found out later that all of our friends thought for sure he would propose that day or that night at the dance. They were so disappointed. John and I had fun though.

The Proposal: March 1, 1991 It turns out that that was the same day I got baptized when I was eight years old. He had no idea. John came over to my grandma's house and I had no voice. By this time we were reading scriptures together daily and so we did that and then we read the chapter in D & C about marriage and then he proposed and wipped out the ring box. I had no voice so I just nodded my head and cried. He actually wanted me to say the words so I said YES and I sounded like a frog croaking instead. He just laughed at me and gave me a big hug. But now 17 years later we were reading his journal and found out that he had the same cold just four days earlier and gave it to me. So it's all his fault I had no voice when he proposed. Then he played a song for me that he had found called "A Long Line of Love" It is an old song by a country artist that talks about coming from parents and grandparents that loved each other and stayed together. That's what he wanted for us. It was sweet.

Married: in the Oakland, California Temple