Sunday, August 17

"MY" Aunt Patti

Written by Carolyn: I have my Aunt Patti’s hands. In my down time I have had opportunities lately to look at my own hands and hope that I can use them for good as she did. I want to be an instrument in the Lords hands as she was for so many people. She was like a second mom when I was young and she means a lot to me. I am sad to say goodbye to such a beautiful person. My life has been changed in significant ways because I knew her.





Carolyn's Thoughts:

God will call people to care about you and to teach you.
- Henry B Eyring

I truly feel that you can learn something from every person that you come in contact with, but there are certain people that are put in your life for a reason. Some for a short while and others for periods of time to help you, lift you up, love and teach you. Patti was there for me when I was a growing up. I loved her then and didn’t realize all that I was learning from her at the time. Now I appreciate the things I learned and thank the Lord for her being there to teach me those lessons and remember those happy moments.
One story I remember was Patti planting daffodils outside her back door at the Ashlan house on the right side of the steps. They were various colors of yellow and I remember bending down to smell them when I came over in the spring. The first time I saw them in bloom at her house I remember asking her what type of flower it was because I had never seen them and they were so beautiful and different from other flowers I had seen. Like a ray of sunshine in her heavily shaded yard. As the years went by I noticed that she planted different varieties and that allowed them to bloom at different times to make the color last longer. Some bloomed early and some later. Some were bright, others pastel and others with variegated or crinkled blooms. It was her little happy spot in the yard. Her spot of sunshine. Whenever I have seen daffodils I have always thought of my Aunt Patti. I have loved those flowers since I was a child and after coming home from the funeral I decided that I am going to plant my own little happy spot in the yard this next fall. So in the Spring I will have something beautiful to make me happy and remind me of Patti.